Creamy Asparagus Soup for Passover
By Liz Rueven, Kosher Like Me
This one pot vegan soup highlights the earliest spring crop during our joyous celebration of a new season. Feel free to make it in advance and store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days before serving.
2 bunches asparagus, chopped (woody ends snapped and discarded)
1 small head cauliflower, rinsed and separated into florets
4 Tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
6 cups vegetable broth
4 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped (reserve some for garnish)
1 tsp fresh thyme
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp lemon juice (or more to taste)
¼ cup chopped pistachios (optional)
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil until shimmering. Saute onions until soft. Add garlic and toss for 2-3 minutes.
- Add asparagus and cauliflower to same pot. Stir and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in fresh herbs.
- Cool soup and puree to velvety texture with an immersion blender.
- Add lemon juice and taste, adding salt and pepper to your liking.
- Serve: garnished with additional fresh herbs and pistachio halves if desired. This soup is lovely sipped from small cups or spooned from traditional soup bowls.
Photo from kosherlikeme.com.
Want a bigger taste?
Join us this summer at the Hazon Food Conference!