As we worked on the Hazon Seal, I was tremendously amazed by how our Hillel was able to find new students who had felt left out in other Jewish spaces because of their sustainable ideals. And as I learned more, I was personally surprised by the extent to which Jewish ideals really align with sustainability.
Would you like your synagogue’s weekly kiddush to be healthier, more delicious, and less wasteful? Want to cut the energy costs of an aging building? Advocate for clean energy in your community as part of an interfaith coalition? Or reignite students’ curiosity about Jewish tradition through hands-on, outdoor learning?
Many institutions want to engage in healthier, more humane, and more sustainable behaviors, but don’t know where to start. Others have already begun – be it starting a garden, composting food waste, or installing LED light bulbs – but don’t know how to keep up the momentum. The Hazon Seal of Sustainability provides a roadmap to advance sustainability-related education, action, and advocacy in the Jewish community and beyond.
From 2016 – 2018, the Hazon Seal of Sustainability engaged over five dozen organizations across the country. Synagogues, day schools, camps, social service agencies, Hillels, and other Jewish institutions each made meaningful, measurable steps towards increasing their sustainability.
What is the Hazon Seal?
The Hazon Seal of Sustainability provides guidance and support to advance sustainability-related education, action, and advocacy in the Jewish community. Participating institutions receive:
- A roadmap to healthier food, less waste, meaningful JOFEE education, a lower carbon footprint, and more
- A network of Jewish and other faith-based organizations committed to sustainability, learning with and from one another
- An annual certification to celebrate success and highlighting the progress of leaders in the field of sustainability
Why join the Hazon Seal?
- Be at the forefront of a movement in the Jewish community and beyond towards a healthier and more sustainable world
- Excite existing community members and bring new members in the door
- Save money through increasing efficiency and attract new donors for sustainability work
- Improve your organization’s brand through publicity, awards, and recognition
Our next cohort will begin in the winter of 2019. Please complete the inquiry form below to be notified when the full application is launched. You can also look at a preview of the application questions, although these may change.