Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center, Falls Village, CT
Ride for a great cause! Join us for a fully-supported ride and community experience over Labor Day Weekend. People of all cycling levels and ages are welcome. Enjoy delicious, kosher, farm-to-table food, an inspiring Shabbat, engaging educational workshops, fun outdoor activities, and two days of cycling around the beautiful Berkshires.
Over the past 18 years, Hazon has helped reshape what it means to be both Jewish and concerned with the health of our communities and our planet. Join us at the 2018 New York Ride & Retreat, where we’ll celebrate how far we’ve come and raise vital funds for the work that still needs to be done.
When you join the New York Ride & Retreat you support Hazon’s efforts to:
- Significantly reduce the collective carbon footprint of the Jewish community. Through the Hazon Seal of Sustainability, which is directly supported with funds raised on the ride, institutions across the country are changing to more sustainable practices. Over the next five years, we will grow our influence from dozens to hundreds of institutions around the country, vastly increasing energy efficiency and the use of renewable energy, reducing waste, and most importantly engaging surrounding communities to become more resilient.
- Create a cadre of environmental leaders who are informed, committed, and compassionate. Those who ride with Hazon also support our important Jewish, Outdoor, Food, Farming, and Environmental Education programs. Adamah, Teva, and JOFEE fellowships in specific are all creating a new generation of future educators, rabbis, and organizational leaders who bring an environmental ethos to their work.
Whether you cycle, crew, or donate to the New York Ride & Retreat, your participation makes a difference. Join us!
Hazon is making changes from the bottom up, with a hands-on approach to helping the earth.
I enjoyed being with like-minded, conscientious professionals of all ages that came with a vision larger than themselves of exploring new ways to heal the world. Isabella Freedman feels like a camp for adults – there were many activities to take part in, the chance to enjoy delicious wholesome food, form community and new friendships, and to worship and connect directly with nature. One feels a renewal of spirit after spending a few days in such beauty and with such visionaries.
Weekend Retreat / Shabbaton
The New York Ride & Retreat Shabbat Retreat takes place at the beautiful Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center in the Berkshires. In this stunning setting, participants celebrate, eat, relax, and learn together in a welcoming, inclusive, and open Jewish community of all ages.
You should expect to end Shabbat feeling full; not only with delicious food prepared from the Adamah farm, but also feeling satisfied from the rich conversations, brilliant sessions, and incredible community. It’s an event you will not want to miss!
- Diverse Jewish community of all ages, backgrounds, Jewish observance, and practice.
- Varied Shabbat service options including egalitarian, traditional, family-focused, and alternative.
- Wellness sessions including yoga, hikes, meditation, and more!
- Opportunities to learn about the relationship between Judaism and the environment.
- Musical havdalah dance party – bring your instruments!
- Organic, kosher, and consciously-prepared food.
- Learning about the inspiring work of Hazon and its partners.
Grab onto the last days of summer in a friendly environmentally-conscious Jewish environment and begin to contemplate changes in lifestyle for the coming year.
It is fantastic to spend Shabbat with an inclusive community from all branches of Judaism and all walks of life, where everyone can bond in a quiet setting away from modern distractions.
Over Shabbat at Isabella Freedman:
We are delighted to be working with the Adamah Foods dining hall staff, who will help us create a menu that is well balanced and plentiful. We try to source produce from local farms and use organic ingredients when possible. Meals are mostly vegetarian, although at times we will serve ethically sourced chicken or meat in addition to a vegetarian option. Isabella Freedman is a Glatt Kosher facility, under the supervision of the Hartford Kashrut Commission.
If you have any allergies or food concerns, please alert us to your sensitivities when you fill out your logistics form.
On the Route:
We plan rest stops every 15-20 miles along all routes. Each rest stop has a variety of snacks, typically including energy bars, granola, potato chips, and fruit, as well as water and energy drinks. We strive to provide organic and healthy snacks while recognizing the need for high-energy food for cycling. Each rest stop has shade and restrooms.
One or two rest stops serve as a lunch stop, which also includes sandwiches and other food.
All food and snacks served on the Ride are kosher.
Choose your participation type, then follow across for your housing options and fundraising commitment. All prices are per person.
Registration + Housing Fees
Hover over housing types for details.
|Standard Plus||Standard||Basic||Own Tent/
|Adult Rider #1 (31+)||
|Spouse/Domestic Partner #2||$1,000|
|Young Adult Rider (18-30)||$800|
|Avodah (working) Crew||None|
|Shabbat-Only||Available August 2018||None|
|Youth Rider (12-17)||
will be housed in the same room as parents
|Youth Rider #2||$600|
|Non-Riding Child (5-17)||None|
|Toddler (0-4)||Free (but we ask that you register for our records)||None|
* For those participating in the 2018 Israel Ride, the fundraising minimum will be 20% lower.*
Take advantage of this great deal and check out the Israel Ride here!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for fundraising adjustments.
Costs & Benefits:
The New York Ride & Retreat weekend costs Hazon about $400 per rider. This includes meals, lodging, transportation, snacks, bike and medical support and a weekend filled with programming. The rider participant registration fee does not cover that full cost, with the balance being covered by 20% of rider fundraising.
Like you, we want as much money as possible to go to the cause. You could just write a check to support Hazon and our partners, but the bike ride has many advantages that cannot be calculated financially. Through the Ride you are raising awareness, cultivating future riders and helping to build the Hazon community.
If you would like more of your fundraising to go towards the cause, we encourage you to sponsor yourself right on the registration form to help cover these costs. If you choose to do that, we encourage you to tell your donors that you covered your own participation with a personal donation. This act shows that you are serious about supporting your ride financially as well as physically. The registration fee is non-refundable and not tax-deductible, but any donations above the registration fee are acknowledged as contributions.
Registration fee includes:
- All meals and snacks during the Shabbat retreat and Ride
- Sleeping arrangements
- SAG (support and gear) vehicles
- Rest stops every 15-20 miles
- Mechanical support
Additional Costs and Fees:
We organize bus and bike transportation to the retreat location for a small additional fee. We also may have bike rentals available. You have the opportunity to pay the additional fees on a logistics form which is emailed out before the ride. We also hope to have Hazon apparel and other merchandise for sale at the ride.
Hazon Rides are one of the largest sources of support for the Jewish Environmental Movement.
You must reach your minimum fundraising requirement by October 31, 2018. If you have not reached your fundraising minimum by the ride, we will collect your credit card information as a guarantee, but we will not charge the balance until October 31st.
To help you reach your fundraising goal, we strongly encourage you to set the goal on your personal web page above your required minimum (the goal you list has no bearing on your fundraising obligation; you are only responsible for the minimums listed above).
Fundraising can seem like a challenge if you have never done it before. We believe you can achieve your fundraising goals just like you can achieve the mileage goal. Many riders from previous rides have told us over and over again, “It was easy.” “Fundraising can be fun.” “I reached, and even exceeded my goal.” “People were happy to contribute!” Our co-chairs and Hazon staff are committed to helping you achieve your fundraising goals.
You will receive a Ride Guide after you register that includes tips on how to get started, whom to ask, information about where the money goes that you can share with your donors, and sample fundraising letters. We are happy to answer questions, coach you through personal solicitations and even read your fundraising letters before you send them out.
|Through Feb||Refundable less $75||Not responsible for meeting requirement|
|Feb – July 15||Non-refundable||Not responsible for meeting requirement|
|July 15 – Aug 18||Non-refundable||Responsible for 50% of required minimum|
|Aug 18 – Sep 1||Non-refundable||Responsible for 100% of required minimum|
There are no refunds or discounts given for arriving late or leaving early. Changing participation type may incur additional fees. Please note that donations are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Form a Team by June 1, and Your Charity Can Earn 50%! Heads up, Teams! We have an incredible limited time offer: If you sign up a team of 4 or more people before June 1, HALF of your fundraising can go towards a charity of your choice that is in line with Hazon’s mission. This is the most we have ever offered for our teams. (After June 1, your charity will get 25%.) Choose a team captain, and form a team of friends, family, or colleagues. Take advantage of this amazing opportunity to support two great causes you care about. Your team must have a minimum of 4 members signed up by June 1.
- Must be in line with Hazon’s mission, as deemed by Hazon Staff
- The team captain must apply for the grant prior to August 1st. Grant applications will be sent to team captains with teams of at least 4
- Minimum number: 4 fundraisers
- Team members can be either Riders or Crew
- Each Crew member has a fundraising minimum of $800
- Riders have a fundraising minimum of $800 (30 and under) or $1200 (31 and over)
- Fundraising minimums are due by October 31 in order to be eligible for the grant
- A participant that has already registered as an individual cannot join a team retroactively unless they decide to form a new team and recruit 3 additional participants
- A participant that has already registered with one team cannot transfer to a different team
- There can be exceptions to this rule at the Staff’s discretion
- Complete teams formed before that date are eligible for 50% of their team's fundraising to go towards the organization of their choice in the form of a grant, in line with Hazon's mission
- All 4 fundraisers must be registered by June 1st
- New teams formed after that date are eligible for 25% of their team's fundraising to go to the organization of their choice in the form of a grant, in line with Hazon's mission
An opportunity to have a wonderful time with inspiring people while doing good for an excellent cause!