In This Email
- See You at the Starting Line! Cross-USA Ride Launches Sunday
- Join Hazon at the Boulder Jewish Festival
- Join Hazon at Israel in the Gardens
- The Urge to Return to Israel by Bike
- Two Israel Ride info sessions in LA
- Ride to Coney Island a Week from Sunday!
- The Jewish Lens Shavuot Photography Contest – Final Week
- Local Events and Features from our Partners and Friends
Not receiving our newsletters? Join our mailing list.
After many months of anticipation, the Cross-USA Ride Launches this Sunday, June 10th in Seattle. 46 riders are registered to date, 11 who will be crossing the entire country, 29 for shorter segments, and 6 Riding Rabbis will join us. Over $67,000 has been raised in support of sustainable food systems.
It’s not too late to be a part of this unique event!
- Celebrate the Launch Ceremony on Sunday.
- Join at the starting line for a one-day ride in Seattle.
- Register for the second half of the ride, or a shorter, 1, 2, or 3-week segment.
Follow the Action
- Follow every moment on twitter.
- See the ride through riders’ eyes on on tumblr.
- Read blog posts about the riders encounters, opportunities for community service on the route, and more!
Stop by our Jewish Food Movement Booth
Sunday, June 10, 2012
11 AM to 5 PM
Boulder County Courthouse Lawn and Pearl Street Mall
Discover the latest and greatest in the Colorado Jewish Food Movement. Learn how to grow food Jewishly, own part of a goat, sign up for farm fresh eggs, and learn how to connect Judaism and the environment. Visit our booth in front of the Court House.
The largest Israel celebration in Northern California
Hazon will have a booth at Israel in the Gardens again this year. Drop by the Hazon booth, connect with alumni from the Israel Ride, Hazonniks, and Hazon staff members. We’ll be playing trivia games and giving away prizes!
This year’s event features performances from Balkan Beat Box, Efrat Gosh and Peatot, The Voca People, the UC Berkeley Marching Band, and activities for the whole family.
Lester Blumberg, a participant in the 2010Arava Institute Hazon Israel Ride, recently reflected on his experience in a post on his blog. While so many of his cohort were there for a repeat trip, often for a 3rd, 4th, and 5th time, he was certain 2011 would be too soon to return. He loved his trip in 2010, which he thought was a one-time event.
I did not come back right away. 2011 was too soon to think about it. But in the fall, when I started to get fundraising letters from friends, and email pitches from Hazon, something started… somewhere deep in my riding soul… first it was just nostalgia, then it became an idea, then a yearning… and soon it became a plan. I’m going back!
Learn about the 2012 Israel Ride and Team JNF
Sunday, June 10th, 4:00 PM
In West Los Angeles, 90034
Please RSVP by June 7th for exact address
Thursday, June 21st, 7:00 PM
Sophos Cafe at the Hub on Venice
11827 Venice Blvd, Los Angeles, RSVP by June 19th
Learn about the Israel Ride from past participants and JNF staff members. They will share their experiences on the Israel Ride as well as stories from visiting the Arava Institute.
Hear alumni experiences of cycling through Israel, exploring the land, understanding its history, and learning about the potential for regional cooperation.
Discover how the Israel Ride can be your destination vacation this year or next.
Bike to the Beach – June 17, 2012
A group ride from around New York and New Jersey!
- Start from any of four locations around New York and New Jersey
- Ride across bridges and on greenways through the city
- All routes end at the Shorefront Y on Coney Island at 1 PM
- Tell your non-riding friends to meet us there!
Students, fans and friends in grades 5-12, enter into our Shavuot Student Photography Contest!
A program of The Jewish Lens and cosponsored by Hazon.
The theme is Making a Difference. We invite you to take photographs of people doing good deeds or scenes that inspire people to make a change. Couple these photos with a Jewish text and your commentary that explains the idea you are sharing.
The winners of the first two prizes will be the photographs with the most ‘Likes’! Another prize will be awarded by our official panel of judges. The judges will look at how well the photograph and commentary match the theme, the seriousness and depth of the entry, and how well Jewish values are incorporated into the entry. The contest will run until June 11, 2012.
- First Place: A digital camera (value of $150)
- Second Place: A gift card (value of $100)
- Judge’s Prize: A gift card (value of $100)
Do you want to build a sustainable Jewish Community?
You can with the Jewish Greening Fellowship
Tell your synagogue, day school, JCC, camp, or social service organization about the Jewish Greening Fellowship. Participating organizations receive inspiration and training to establish a Green Team, conduct energy audits, reduce waste and pollution, and create hands-on Jewish environmental initiatives for all ages. Your organization will benefit from leadership development and grants of $7,000-$15,000. Engage your entire community to reduce environmental impacts and put Jewish values into action. Open to organizations in UJA-Federation of New York catchment area.
Application deadline is September 7, 2012.