Hazon is looking to hire two crew members to help staff our Cross-USA Bike Ride this summer.
The Ride begins in Seattle on June 10 and concludes nine weeks later in Washington DC on August 19, 2013. The Cross-USA Ride is a remarkable opportunity to travel across America for a summer as part of an intentional community. Our riders will be fundraising to support Hazon and advocating for transportation alternatives across the country. We will visit over 20 Jewish communities of all sizes, including three in Montana and one in South Dakota. During the Ride there will be ample educational opportunities to learn about America’s food systems, cycling advocacy, and Jewish tradition. While all riders are fundraising over $2000 to participate, crew will be encouraged to fundraise but do not have a fundraising minimum.
- Completed one year of college
- Experience living and working in a group setting
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be willing to drive a 15-passenger van or a 17’ box truck
- Knowledge of cycling, cooking, social media, community organizing, environmental education, Jewish ritual practice, photography, yoga, or other skills is a plus
- Willingness to become CPR certified, take a food safety class or learn bike mechanic skills
Crew roles will vary from day to day, depending on the host locations, terrain of the route, and number of cyclists. Specific jobs will rotate throughout the course of the event, and can include:
- On Road Support: directing traffic and cyclists, setting up and taking down rest stops and lunch locations, picking up riders as needed, and providing basic mechanical support.
- Base Camp Support: moving our supplies and luggage from one location to the next and preparing for the arrival of the riders. Locations can include camp grounds, school gyms, synagogues and churches, or on occasion a central location in a larger Jewish community.
- Food Support: coordinating our food supplies, preparing meals on the road, shopping for groceries While crew should be prepared to do any task needed, we hope to find crew members who “specialize” in one of the above areas.
For most weeks during the ride, you will have the opportunity to cycle with our riders for up to two days a week. You will receive a day off once a week, with the possibility to go off-route in one of our vehicles, rejoining the group the following day. In addition, you may be able to take some time off during Shabbat depending on our programming.
The Cross-USA Ride may pay for crew to become CPR and First Aid certified or for a bicycle mechanic class.
All crew will receive a stipend of $2000. All accommodations and meals are included for the full length of the trip. Crew will need to arrive in Seattle by Monday, June 10th. We will provide transportation to Seattle for the start of the Ride and back to New York City at the end if needed.
Please submit a cover letter and Resume to Adrienne Winton at firstname.lastname@example.org