by Ariel Marantz and Rebecca Silver
Summer is vacation time! Here are some tips to think about when planning your next vacation.
- Are there ways that you can travel without flying? Try to use public transportation, including buses or trains, as much as possible.
- If you must fly, travel non-stop, choose coach seating, and pack lightly. Click here to find out why, and explore green airports and airlines.
- Bring your own plane snacks in reusable containers to avoid the plastic-wrapped meals!
- Pack reusable water bottles, reusable coffee cups, containers, and silverware with you before you go.
- Secure any travel liquids in silicone reusable bags instead of plastic – you can find them here or by going on stasher’s website.
- Say Tefilat Haderech (traveler’s prayer), have fun, and appreciate the nature around you!
- If staying in a hotel, bring your own shampoo, conditioner, and soap bars to avoid using the provided plastic containers
- Be sure to not throw your towels on the floor unless they truly need washing
- Request that your bed sheets not be washed each night (washing unnatural materials causes microplastic sheds!)
- Be mindful of turning off lights when leaving the room, and try to use the natural sunlight to brighten up your room!
- If utilizing a tour company, ensure that yours does no harm to the natural areas where animals live. Here are some certifications to look out for: Global Sustainable Tourism Council. Read this New York Times article to learn more about community impacts while traveling.
- Learn about how waste management works in the place that you are going to. What is recyclable? Do they compost? Do your research to follow the correct practices while enjoying your vacation!