The word Hazon means “vision”. Our vision is of a vibrant, healthy Jewish community, in which to be Jewish is necessarily to help create a more sustainable world for all.
We’re in a global environmental crisis. Jewish tradition compels us to respond.
As the Jewish lab for sustainability, Hazon is building a movement that strengthens Jewish life and contributes to a more environmentally sustainable world for all.
People who participate in our programs…
- deepen their Jewish identities;
- experience the connection between inherited Jewish wisdom, food, climate, and the natural world; and
- become linked with others who care about creating a more sustainable Jewish community and world.
Hazon develops, networks, and provides resources for those growing into leadership – people changing existing institutions or building new organizations and communities that live the values we cherish and the world needs. These individuals become part of a powerful movement of like-minded people within and outside the Jewish community who take responsibility for fixing what has gone awry in our relationship to the world and for designing a more sustainable future for all.
We effect change in three ways:
- Inspiring and activating people through immersive JOFEE experiences.
(JOFEE is Jewish, Outdoor, Food, Farming & Environmental Education)
- Educating and supporting JOFEE leaders.
- Building a field, by catalyzing and convening Jewish leaders, organizations, and individuals to make specific commitments to change – with a particular focus on food systems, because food is central to both Jewish life and our impact in the world.
If you’re interested in talking to us about how we might work together in the future – and especially about how we might be of use in your community – please be in touch.