On Sunday, June 7th at 10:00 am, Isabella Freedman – A Virtual Retreat kicks off with our Opening Celebration! Join us for for the whole day or just for a class from your favorite teacher. See the guest presenter list and register today!
After the Plague will take place at the Virtual Retreat this week. Don’t miss special guest Rabba Yaffa Epstein in conversation with Nigel at 12pm. Register for the full schedule and Zoom links.
We are continually updating this page to bring you the best resources. Stay tuned for new content.
Opt Outside: Taking time away from our screens
Shelter at home doesn’t mean you need to be on a screen all day long! Check out these activities that will take you outside and into nature for a chance to reset.
- Hazon Detroit has launched a Relief Garden Initiative. Hazon will deliver compost and seed packets free to anyone willing to grow a little extra for local food pantries. We will also help first-time gardeners feel confident getting started. Read more here. Take a look at the flyer here. Fill out the interest form here.
- Want to find out a bit more about compost? Adamah Director Shamu Sadeh and Adamah Alumn Anna Sacks have the scoop.
- Nature connection: hands-on nature crafts, recycling activities, and imagination activation games.
- Teva blends forest ecology and Jewish wisdom to transform the outdoors. We are posting daily live videos with tips, resources, and outside activities.
- Missing Teva? Head out on trail with Teva educator extraordinaire, Arielle Aronoff (and the goats)!
Stuck in quarantine? Curl up with a good book. Our curated list of reading material will help keep you entertained and informed.
- Michael Kagan – God’s Prayer and the Revenge of the Pangolin
- What Would Happen If the World Reacted to Climate Change Like It’s Reacting to the Coronavirus?
- Covid-19 and Torah: Advice from the Sabbatical Year
- We Are the Weather: Saving the Planet Begins at Breakfast – Jonathan Safran Foer
- The Overstory – Richard Powers
- The Secret Wisdom of Nature – Peter Wohlleben
- Ecology & the Jewish Spirit – Ellen Bernstein
- The Sabbath – Abraham Joshua Heschel
- The Work that Reconnects – Joanna Macy
- Braiding Sweetgrass – Robin Wall Kimmerer
- Shabbat Ha’Aretz – Rav Kook
- Shmita Sourcebook – Hazon
- Waste Not: A Jewish Environmental Ethic – Tanhum S. Yoreh
Spirituality and Wellness
Covid-19 is changing our lives in many ways, many of which are quite stressful. Meditation is proven to lower stress, and communal prayer helps you connect deeply with others, even from far away. There has never been a more urgent time to take care of yourself in this way.
- Join us for daily Avodat Lev/Service of the Heart, alternative prayer services filled with beautiful song.
- Eden Village Camp hosts daily morning prayer sessions and Kabbalat Shabbat, in addition to other great programming!
- RUACH: Emotional and Spiritual Care is offering support during the COVID-19 pandemic. Sign up to be matched with a caregiver for a 30-minute call.
- Diane Bloomfield is offering Torah Yoga online!
- Monday nights from 7:00-8:15pm Israel time (12pm EDT). $75 dollars until the end of June.
- Wednesday nights at 8:00-9:00pm Israel time (1pm EDT) is an online Torah from Jerusalem class based on Sfat Emet and other luminous teachings on the Parsha and Holidays. $300/year for 40 classes.
- (Sessions are offered live and recorded in case you miss one.) Email email@example.com to sign up.
Being away from school and work presents challenges for learning. Fortunately, Hazon has a robust collection of online educational resources. We have also highlighted offerings from partnering organizations and teachers. Educational materials for all ages can be found below.
- The Hazon Educational Library has countless resources for kids, adults, and everyone in between.
- Resources from Hakhel on how to be in intentional community in a time of social distancing. Take a look at their Corona Response Toolkit.
- Cooked: Survival by Zip Code is now re-streaming on PBS Independent Lens through June 16, 2020.
- Check out our full Food and Climate Movie List!
From our Friends:
- JewishLIVE is your one-stop shop for Jewish programming video.
- Wilderness Torah has launched a Virtual Village. Take a look at the schedule here.
- Jewish Education Project, Ikar LA, Jewish National Fund, Pardes Institute, and Hadar all have digital resources to help you navigate Jewish life as it is right now.
- Spertus Institute for Jewish Learning & Leadership is hosting various events and classes.
- Sign up for Online Jewish Mystery School with Pesach Stadlin today!
- Join the Social Community Series from the Future Coalition – webinars for changemakers within the youth organizing movement.
- YIVO has launched its fourth class in the Shine Online Educational Series, A Seat at the Table: A Journey into Jewish Food. The course will focus on Ashkenazi food and features cooking demos from your favorite chefs, celebrated site visits, and renowned scholars. Register anytime for the course, and take it at your own pace.
View more calendar details
Contribute to our movement to lead the Jewish community to a more sustainable future. Make a donation.
Hazon is committed to providing connection for our community at this difficult time. We are inspired by the outpouring of opportunities created given the shelter in-place policies. [To note: these policies are saving lives, please continue to do so to the best of your ability!]
We hope these resources offer nourishment – for you, your families, students, congregations, and communities.
We are sending so much love and warmth at this time. This is a moment to come together, share the abundance of our gifts and remember that this is hard, and remember that this too shall pass.
With blessings for health and strength in virtual community,
– All of us at Hazon