Get on your bike and ride!
May is National Bike Month, a time to appreciate all that is wonderful about bicycles and the many reasons to ride them. Whether you’re a seasoned cyclist, or it’s your first time in many years, now is the perfect time to start riding. There are no special skills required beyond the knowledge of a few hand signals. You don’t even need a separate wardrobe; just a bike. It’s not only the most environmentally-conscious way to travel, but it’s often the most convenient way to get around, and it is enormously satisfying to know that you’ve traveled somewhere using your own two legs. Cycling gives you a deeper appreciation of your surroundings; you’ll see the world around you with new eyes from the seat of your bike. Many who commute by bike will say it’s the best way to start the day.
And did we mention it’s just plain fun?
- Friday, May 18th is Bike to Work Day. Start planning your commute!
- Hazon staffer, Jake W-M gets back on his bike after many years and wonders what’s so Jewish about cycling?
- Repair the World has a great list of ways to get involved for Bike Month
- Join Hazon for a free Summer Ride in New York City
- Visit Hazon’s collection of advice for training and tips for safe cycling
- Register for a Hazon Bike Ride
- Need a bike? In the New York Area, visit places like Recycle-A-Bicycle or the Brooklyn Bike Jumble. Several cities have bike shares, and New York is next!
- Plainly stated, Grist tells us to Get Your A** on That Bike!